Thomas Carle

M, #13691, b. 1638, d. 25 March 1675
ChartsBentley (maternal side) - Phoebe Meredith Frey
Note*  New York City Wills, 1665-1707 'Whereas Captain THOMAS CARLE, of Hempstead, upon Long Island, diedintestate, upon the petition of his widow, Sarah Carle, that Letters ofAdministration might be granted to her, and that her father JamesHalstead, and her brother Timothy Halstead, of Hempstead, might be madeoverseers.' It was granted March 25, 1676/7. Emigration: 27 Feb 1656 Original Pioneer Settlers, Hempstead, LongIsland, New York Note: Captain Thomas Carle 1638-1676 came from England to Piscataway,Middlesex, N.J. and 1656 moved to Hempstead, Long Island'. The above infowas found in a will filed in Morris County,New Jersey by Betty Harley ofOntario Canada. The name was spelled with an 'e' until the generation starting after 1725when it was changed to two 'l's. (Timothy of Huntington changed it toCarll). At Hofstra University Institute: - copies of pages from 2 Carl Bibles, one dated 1599 and one dated 1807 - copies of Town Records - they were wealthy land owners - copies of newspaper articles re Carls - St. George's Church, Hempstead, were Captain Thomas & Sarah were married in 1656 - The 'Carle House' - a 32 room house built by Silas Carl in 1800 in Westbury. It was known as the showplace of Long Island and important functions took place there. It was called the 'Carle Place'. Evenutally the area surrounding it became known (and is today) as 'Carle Place' - Carle Place where there is a memorial and park. - Quaker Cemetery at Westbury Quaker Church - many Carls buried there - Street called Carle Road - On January 16, 1663, day of election, Thomas Carle was chosen forTownsman to stand for next ensuing year. In 1663 Thomas Carle, with otherof Hempstead, was made a freeman of English Connecticut, under whosejurisdiction Long Island now fell. In 1664 Thomas Carle was chosen to bea church warden. In 1657 Thomas Carle was the owner of six gates at 'the necke'. In 1658 Thomas Carle was given a certain allotment ofmeadowland; first received 6 acres, later that year he acquired ten more.In 1659 Thomas Carle held six acres at Mr. Ogden's Neck. In 1659 ThomasCarle took up eight acres at Rockaway. In 1663 at a town meeting Thomas Carle five acres 'of upland' at Mr. Denton's Neck and ten acres 'on thenorth side'. In February, 1663 Captain Thomas Carle purchased ThomasSmith's parcell of meddow lying on dentons Neck. On January 16, 1672 ata town meeting, 8 more acres were given to Thomas Carle 'on the GreatNeck eastward by Jerusalem River. Thomas Carle died intestate about 1675,age unknown. As of this date(2/10/00) it has not been established where he came from,or who were his parents. Thanks to Betty Harley of Ontario, Canada for her research whichcontributed to the above! Carle Place The Prototype for Levittown Beginnings: Carle Place, like the rest of modern-day central NassauCounty, existed initially as a fragment of the Hempstead Plains. The prairie wasviewed as largely worthless by the English settlers of 1644. One of thosesettlers was Capt. Thomas Carle, who purchased land in the area in 1656.He and his neighbors turned cattle and sheep loose on the plains to grazeand thought little else of it. Not until 100 years later did farmersrealize the land could be cultivated. One of Carle's descendants, SilasCarle, had become a successful pharmaceuticals merchant in New York City.Some time after 1800, he returned to Long Island to build a showy houseon 220 acres for his family. Indeed, it became a local landmark, referredto by residents as ``the Carle place,'' a name that eventually came to beapplied to the community that developed around it, replacing the nameFrog Hollow. Farm Country: For decades, the Carle place was one of the few homes in anarea dominated by small farms, most of which were run by Polish, Germanand Irish immigrants. Although the Long Island Rail Road ran rightthrough Carle Place since the 1830s, it wasn't until 1923 that the hamletwarranted a station. Indeed, it had gained a post office only in 1916,making the name Carle Place official. Turning Point: In 1946, developer William J. Levitt bought 19 acres foran experiment. His crews brought precut lumber to the site and rapidlyassembled 600 low-cost houses. The population swelled by five times infive years. It transformed Carle Place, and served as the prototype forthe gargantuan development Levitt began the following year a few milesaway: Levittown. Before long, the last potato farms in Carle Place weredeveloped as well. Brush With Fame: Guitar virtuosos Joe Satriani and Steve Vai grew up inCarle Place. Vai took lessons from Satriani there. Where to Find More: In the Carle Place files at the Long Island Studies Institute at Hofstra University, Hempstead. New York City Wills, 1665-1707 'Whereas Captain THOMAS CARLE, of Hempstead, upon Long Island, diedintestate, upon the petition of his widow, Sarah Carle, that Letters ofAdministration might be granted to her, and that her father JamesHalstead, and her brother Timothy Halstead, of Hempstead, might be madeoverseers.' It was granted March 25, 1676/7. From Littell's Passaic Valley Book Page 67 THOMAS CARLE. THOMAS CARLE lived on Long Island, and had two sons: 1. Jona Carle sold, in the year 1729, to Benjamin Pettit, of NewRochelle, in the State of New York, 105 acres of land adjoining PassaicRiver, and yet in the Pettit family. In the deed, from John Blanchard for the Church Parsonage lot, JacobCarle is said to adjoin it on the west; therefore it would seem thatJocob Carle and Jona Carle owned from the Parsonage lot up the river, toabout the middle of the Pettit farm, and that Jacob sold the remainder toElnathan Cory, who subsequently owned it. 2. Jacob Carle removed to the farm now owned by John Worth, on the northof Dead River. He then bought 500 acres, the one-fourth part of theBerkley Tract of 2000 acres, north of Passaic River, on which hisgrandson, Daniel Carle, now lives. Jacob Carle married Rebecca Stites, daughter of William Stites, and hadchildren: 1. John, who married Providence Layton, sister of Capt. Peter Layton.(Providence and Peter Layton's mother was sister of Richard Runyon,Sen. 2. Sarah, who married Bedient Baird, who lived where Clark Squierdoes. 3. Jonas, who married Anna Cooper, daughter of Daniel Cooper, 1st. John Carle, son of Jacob Carle, lived on Long Hill, on the 500 AcreTract, which was divided between him and his brother Jonas. He was aJustice of the Peace, a Judge of the Court and several time, a member ofthe Legislature of the State, and in 1783, was a member of the PrivyCouncil. Page 68 JOHN CARLE, ESQ., (son of Jacob) and Providence Layton.1 
Birth*1638 Thomas Carle was born in 1638 at Scotland.1 
Marriage*1658 He married Sarah Halstead, daughter of Jonas Halstead and Sarah Butterfield, in 1658 at Hempstead, L.I., New York.1 
Death*25 March 1675 Thomas Carle died on 25 March 1675 at Long Island, New York.1 


Sarah Halstead b. 1638, d. 1685
Last Edited14 Jan 2004


  1. [S170] Gedcom file by Debora J Krauss Franklin (see her record for more).